Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Divide the Child in Two

1 Kings 3 vs 23-28
[New King James Version]

23 - And the king said, "The one says, This is my son, who lives and your son is the dead one'; and the other says, 'No! But you son is the dead one, and my son is the living one.'"
24 - Then the king said, "Bring me a sword." So they brought a sword before the king.
25 - And the king said, "Divide the living child in two, and give half to one, and half to the other."
26 - Then the woman whose son was living spoke to the king, for she yearned with compassion for her son: and she said, "O my lord, give her the living child, and by no means kill him!" But the other said, "Let him be neither mine or yours, but divide him."
27 - So the king answered and said, "Give the first woman the living child, and by no means kill him; she is his mother."
28 - And all Israel heard of the judgment which the king had rendered; and they feared the king, for they saw that the wisdom of God was in him to administer justice.


So last night/this morning when I got home at 3 in the morning, I started reading 1 Kings and I am on chapter 5 now, it was so intriguing.  But I had to stop and read these verses and quote them because there is a lot of Love Talks in this excerpt.  First of all, you have to read the whole story to get the full effect but know this: the Lord blessed Solomon with wisdom in the previous chapter.  Solomon could have guessed who the mother was and given the child to that person.  He could have killed the child without even a question.  But that's what I love about true love.  That mother was so distraught about seeing her child die, she was willing to let the other woman have him in order to save his life.  The other mother had revenge and jealousy in her heart and wanted to bring the woman down to her suffering and experience the misery she was feeling, not to mention her selfishness.  Many times we choose a side because of our inclination/devotion to a person whether it be a friend or family member but sometimes we need to take a step back and execute wisdom much like Solomon did.  We need to be neutral and present a situation that will bring forth peace amongst brethren rather than more quarrel.  Can you imagine watching your own child cut in half when you had the power to stop it? I know I couldn't and I'm not even a mother yet.  But that is what we do sometimes, we watch friendships and relationships get severed instead of trying to cooperate, negotiate or put our desires aside for the benefit of the thing we are fighting about.  That is why I can't stand when couples fight over children.  Love your children and do what is best for the child, not for either side. Love speaks up when needed and sacrifices in times of tragedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not be afraid to drop a few lines below!